provide the type of service that best meets your needs and
Funeral Home is one of Houston's oldest businesses.
Now located at 443 South Jackson Street. Its history
is traced back to 1910.
In 1954, Mr. Leland Brown Norman, Sr. and his wife, Louise
Bullard Norman, bought a funeral home from Mr. Avery Hill,
who had bought it from his brother J.W. Hill. They
named this business Norman Funeral Home.
The Business was originally founded in 1929 by B.C. Hill,
then the owner of B.C. Hill Hardware and Furniture Co.
It was located in the building on the southwest corner of
the town square. It was relocated in 1935 to the first
floor of the historic Greentree Hotel, which was on the
north east corner of the square, now the location of Bill's
Dollar Store. It was the area's first funeral
home. The Normans also let the building be used by a
group that later became the Parkway Baptist Church.
Mr. Hill founded the business in 1910, and the move to the
present location came in 1961 when the Norman's purchased
the Houston Funeral Home.
The Norman's retained the name of Houston Funeral
Home. In 1963, Mr. Norman passed away. Mrs.
Norman continued in the business and was soon joined by her
son, Leland Brown Norman, Jr. Mrs. Norman passed away
The Houston Funeral Home is located in what had been the
home of the late Cecil Lynn, built in 1948. This home
is of particular historical significance because it was
constructed of material taken from the girl's dormitory of
the Buena Vista Agricultural College.
Leland B. Norman, Jr. has served as the president of the
Mississippi Funeral Directors Association, Chairman of The
State Board of Funeral Services, and selected Funeral
Director of the Year.